Tuesday, February 28, 2012

HOCKEY!!!




Last Friday I had practice the same time that Willie was coming to Cortland. I had asked him before if we would like to learn how to skate and he said yes, so this was a great oppertunity. Not only did he get to learn how to skate, but also try some ice hockey!

My roommate luckily is the same size as Willie so we got some equipment from him to fit Willie. When we got out on the ice he was pretty scared at first about falling and hurting himself, but I kept telling him thats what the helmet is for and it's ok to fall lots of people do it! One of the girls got him a ice walker, which is an assistance device to help him work on getting use to the ice without having to worry about falling because he can put all his weight on the walker. He then started zooming around on the walker and finally we got him to skate a little with just the hockey stick. When he got tired he would go sit on the bench and one of the girls would come over and keep him company so it was great for him socially!

At the end of practice he took a few shots on the net and all the girls cheered I don't think I have ever seen a smile so big on his face before! I think he had an awesome time and it was a great experience for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment